The Cosmetic Wonders of Coconut Oil
Celebrities and bloggers all over the internet world have been ranting and raving about coconuts in general for a while now; their taste, health benefits, skin benefits, hair benefits… SO MANY BENEFITS. Not only are they full of goodness, but they’re incredibly versatile too. We eat their flesh, drink their milk, LOVE their smell and unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past year or so, you’ve probably heard of the most recent coconut hype – the miracle juice that is coconut oil – but what does it do exactly? Don’t worry! There’s no need to spend hours scouring the internet for their endless cosmetic uses, ’cause we’ve sieved through and found all of the best ones for you…
Do you find yourself spending hundreds of pounds a year on skin products? Do you worry about chemicals and their harmful effects on your skin? With a jar of coconut oil in your cupboard, not only will you save yourself some precious £’s, but you can rest assured that your skin is being cared for gently and naturally. Here are some of the best uses for coconut oil on your skin…
- Eye make-up remover – Apply a small chunk of coconut oil to a cotton pad as you usually would and remove make up effortlessly. Not only will your make-up melt away, but your skin will be left moisturised at the same time!
- Shaving cream – Rub a piece of coconut oil along your skin then shave as normal. The natural oils will not only moisturise your skin, but lubricate the area in order for your razor to glide smoothly. This is a recipe for instant baby-smooth softness!
- Eczema/skin irritation treatment – A lot of skin irritation is caused by harmful chemicals, of which many prescribed creams even include! Rubbing a small amount of coconut oil into dry, sore skin offers a natural remedy which will leave you safe in the knowledge that you’re being moisturised with no further harm to irritations.
- Massage oil – Use coconut oil as an alternative to expensive shop-bought massage oils: not only will your skin be left incredibly soft, but the smell will have you believing you’re on a tropical island too!
- Bath oil – Similarly, bath oils can prove pretty costly! A small chunk of coconut oil will melt into your bath and turn it into a spa like paradise.
- Acne/spot treatment – Coconut oil contains natural fatty acids that work as an anti-bacterial agent and therefore work to kill the bacteria that clogs your pores and causes spots. It is also a natural anti-inflammatory so reduces the size of spots in no time!
- Lip balm – Chapped lips are a thing of the past with coconut oil at your aid. Simply rub in a small amount as you would a normal lip balm, and your lips will be left soothed and smooth!
When browsing the haircare aisles in shops, you’ll often find products boasting ‘essence of coconut’ or ‘infused with coconut oil’. This isn’t just to trick you into buying them based on smell, coconut oil is the perfect ingredient to bring dry, dull hair back to life! Why waste money on expensive products that claim to only add the essence of coconut, when you can apply pure, natural coconut oil direct to your hair, without the hefty price tag and unnecessary chemicals?!
- Hair mask – For a deep treatment, melt a tablespoon of coconut oil (depending on hair length) and apply to the ends of your hair to an inch or two away from the roots. For a speedy re-juvination of your hair, you can leave the oil on for an hour then wash your hair as usual. However, for a more intense treatment, apply before bed and wash out in the morning. (Don’t forget to cover your pillow with a towel!)
- Frizz tamer – To say goodbye to fly-away hairs or ratty ends, rub a small amount of oil between your palms and gently run your fingers through your hair. You’ll be left with shiny, smooth looking hair in no time!
- Detangler – In the shower, apply a generous amount of coconut oil to your hair and brush through with a wide-tooth comb. Not only will your hair be left completely detangled, but once dried you’ll feel the full moisturising benefits for days!
- Dandruff treatment – Years of harsh colourants and product-build up on your hair can result in scalp irritation and dandruff. The natural fatty acids in coconut oil work well to treat your scalp and leave you dandruff free! Simply massage coconut oil into your scalp, wrap your head in a towel and leave in over night. In the morning, wash the oil out with a natural shampoo and you’ll be left with a healthy, flake free scalp!
Coconut oil has hundreds of fantastic uses and is a very beneficial product to keep in your cupboard, but don’t just take our word for it, give these tips a try and tell us what you think!