5 Reasons Why The Everyday Sexism Project Is Important
What is The Everyday Sexism Project?
The Everyday Sexism Project exists to allow women from a number of countries around the world to submit stories about their experiences of sexism. The aim is to highlight the extent of the problem.
Why is it important?
1. There is a shocking number of women who aren’t even fully aware that they experience sexism on a daily basis. It is so ridiculously common that it seems to be the norm. Only by raising awareness can the issue be challenged.
2. It helps women and girls to realise that the sexism they are subjected to is not their fault. By reading the submissions, it is apparent that young girls especially have blamed themselves for the way they that have been treated. The vast number of girls who have also spoken out against sexism acts as a support, showing others that they are not alone and that the way in which women are often treated is downright wrong.
3. In countries which are particularly oppressive towards women, the project gives women a platform to express their anger without fear of persecution.
4. The wide collection of submissions makes a shouting statement about the everyday struggles experienced by women, simply because of their gender. These testimonies have the potential to be revolutionary because they make the sexism problem so clear.
5. By using the project to educate people about sexism, boys and men can put renewed thought into how they treat women, whilst girls and women can learn to stand up for themselves as equal human beings.
Do you have anything to add to this list? Drop a comment below and let’s discuss.