14 Reasons Why Books Are Better Than TV
Our contributor Izzy tells us why she thinks a book beats a TV show every time!
Although I love a TV binge, I would strongly argue that books are much better! Here are my 14 reasons why…
1. The possibilities within books are endless. In a TV program, the characters can only be as depicted, they have limits. When reading a book you can attribute whatever physical and emotional characteristics to the characters, as you are imagining them rather than looking at them.
2. You can still read a book during a power cut, yet you can’t watch TV.
3. TV costs more money, especially if you want a variety of TV programs to choose from. You can get books for £1 at charity shops, whereas TV companies charge much more for unlimited TV series.
4. Libraries hold a special power that many people cannot resist.
5. It’s free to borrow books from a friend or the library, renting TV programs or DVD’s can be expensive.
6. In a book there are no actors. In TV often your favourite show can be ruined by the introduction of an actor that you hate.
7. There are more books in the world than there are TV shows = more choice.
8. That old book smell? Unbeatable.
9. As a child, your Mum and Dad would never tell you off for reading a book, like they did with watching TV.
10. You can pretend to revise while reading a book.
11. It’s easier to read a book anywhere you want, whereas TV and internet shows don’t travel as easily.
12. Reading books can teach you how to write.
13. In terms of the same story, there is often more detail, depth and accuracy in a novel rather than a TV show or film.
14. Books are just better, obviously.
Any film buffs out there beg to differ? Let us know in the comments section below!